Sunday, October 28, 2012

"The sky fell on my toes"

I got out this weekend for my first post-injury run. It's only been 6 weeks but a torturous 6 weeks at best. I love fall running. It's the best. I felt pretty good. I'm excited that the cross training I did actually helped! I didn't really feel like a lost a lot of fitness. Just some heavy legs, but otherwise I felt great.

September & October are hard months for me; they mark the passing of my mom & my sister. It's been 6 years since my mom passed away and (gulp) 12 years tomorrow that my sister passed away. I can't believe it. Some days it feels like a lifetime ago, sometimes it feels like last week. Running played an important, albeit different, role in the healing process for each of these losses. My path was determined by a decision I made to keep running; if I had not have made that decision, my life would be much different today. I am grateful each and every day that I am able to do this. I'm happy again. I never thought I would be, but here I am.  I'll write more on this later. For today, I want to relish in the fact that I got to run again.

It was a beautiful day. Forty degrees. No wind. Sunshine. Crunchy leaves everywhere. 4 miles. A bit slower than my usual easy run (about 8:15-8:25 per mile) but I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment